Job Title: LGV Driver
Reports to: Depot Manager
Location: South East Depot - Milton Keynes
Power Electrics is a proud family company, dedicated to innovation, excellence, and customer service. We have grown from a small yard in 1963 to operating out of several locations across the country, and now with a fleet of over 2,500 generators. We continue to offer a specialist, single-source solution for diesel generator Hire, Service, and Parts.
Our employees are our greatest asset, and their dedication and enthusiasm have helped us to become so successful. Power Electrics are committed to providing a workplace that encourages growth and personal development for all employees. We recognise the value of our employees and the contribution they make.
By investing in new research and technology, we’re providing our customers with reliable power that is increasingly sustainable and environmentally friendly. It’s certainly an interesting time to be working within the power generation industry.
You will deliver and collect Generators and associated equipment for the busy Transport Department – supporting the needs of the Rental, Sales, and Service Departments.
The successful candidate will be expected to drive any vehicle from our extensive fleet including 6 and 8-Wheeler rigid lorry-loader equipped flatbeds with and without drawbar trailers, Tractor Units pulling 45’ flatbed trailers, Fuel Tankers and 4x4‘s.
Our customer base is varied including Utility Boards, Event Companies, Construction Companies etc. Sites visited will occasionally be challenging and you will be expected to provide an excellent service to our valued customers.
Key Tasks & Main Duties
- Responsible for delivering and collecting generators for hire and sales to and from customers’ sites, using any of the varied vehicles in our fleet.
- Responsible for loading and offloading generators and ancillary equipment in yard and on customers’ sites, locating equipment on site in line with customer requirements.
- Responsible for starting generators following delivery and informing the customer of the basic operations of the generator.
- Responsible for connecting generator and external fuel tank, running up generator and checking for leaks.
- Assist customers to run out and roll up cables on site as required.
- Responsible for delivering fuel to customers’ sites using a fuel tanker or 4 x 4 and bowser as required.
- Responsible for checking and securing equipment on lorry, ensuring equipment agrees to the relevant paperwork.
- Assist with the maintenance of equipment where required, including washing down sets if necessary when in the yard.
- Provide Call-Out cover for generator deliveries or collections, refuelling or other emergency work requiring use of a lorry or 4 x 4 on a rostered basis.
- During each “On Call” week, there will be no scheduled daytime work and driver will be required to be available to be called into work for emergency driving jobs between the hours of 17.00 hours to 08.00 hours Monday to Friday and then 12.00 hours on Saturday through to 08.00 hours the following Monday morning. Flexibility exists to allow drivers on the roster to swap weeks if both parties are in agreement. Frequency of required Call-Out weeks may be changed if workload requires – although presently expected to be no more than one in every four weeks.
- Comply with all relevant Health and Safety Regulations, e.g. Tachograph Regulations, European Working Time Directive, Vehicle Safety Check Lists etc.
- Comply with the Company Health & Safety Policy, including carrying out general housekeeping to ensure work areas are tidy. This includes company vehicles.
- Comply with all aspects of the company ISO 9001:2015 procedures, proactively contributing to the company’s continuous improvement programme.
Skills & Experience Required
- LGV Licence required, C+E (Old Class 1).
- Experience with equivalent vehicle types (Rigid Wagon with Drawbar Trailer rated to 44 Tonnes, Tractor Unit with 45’ flatbed trailer).
- Digital Tachograph holder.
- Candidate must have a flexible approach to working hours as the nature of the business requires regular early starts and late finish times.
- Lorry Loader Licence (Hook) (ALLMI or RTITB preferred) with proven experience of loader use.
- ADR Licence (At least Class 3, Tanks & Packages).
- Evidence of Driver’s CPC Training.
- CSCS Card Holder.
What we offer:
We offer great benefits to all of our staff:
23 days holiday (plus bank holidays) – increasing with length of service
Excellent development and progression opportunities
Company pension scheme
Private medical scheme
Life assurance scheme - with access to more healthcare support and counselling services to help protect employees’ financial, emotional, and physical wellbeing
Paid overtime is available at the following rates:
Monday to Saturday - 12.00am to 4.00am - Double Time
All other hours - Time and Half
Sundays & Bank Holidays - All hours - Double Time
At Power Electrics, we welcome a variety of cultures, experiences, and backgrounds. We ensure that all management decisions made regarding employment are done with fairness and without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, age, disability, or sexual orientation. We are solely committed to adhering to the principles of equal and inclusive employment.
Due to the nature of our work, DBS checks are required, and any offer is dependent on satisfactory references being obtained.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.K.
If you do not hear from us within two working weeks, then your application has not been successful on this occasion.